Emerald Coast HUB
- 4th of July Fireworks Celebrations 2018 June 21, 2018
- Fireworks Destin Fort Walton Beach, FL June 9, 2018
- Upcoming 5K & 10K Runs in Destin – Fort Walton Beach June 9, 2018
- $1 Summer Movies Express 2018 – UA Santa Rosa 10 June 3, 2018
Best Tips to Avoid Computer Viruses
Have you ever wondered who makes computer viruses and why? Do you imagine some loser sitting in their underwear in front of their computer giggling away as they create the newest virus or trojan worm? I guess it doesn’t really matter because computer viruses are real and they are destructive. They are responsible for a lot of business downtime as well as a lot of inconvenience with home computers. Most often when this happens, you need an expert for virus removal and sometimes computer repair.
Here are a few of the best tips to avoid getting a computer virus:
- Install a reliable antivirus program. This seems simple, but it is commonly overlooked. There are a lot of free antivirus software options out there; however, many internet providers provide antivirus software or suites at no extra charge. Be sure to use them, and be sure they are set to update automatically.
- Never click on email attachments unless you know they are legit. There are a lot of spam emails out there that looks legitimate. You might receive an email stating it is from UPS with your tracking number and there is an attachment. Or maybe you get a notice that looks like it’s from your bank. Don’t click on it unless you know it’s for real. It’s best to setup your email options so it doesn’t automatically show or display attachments. This way, you get to decide what you think is safe and what it not safe.
- Beware of websites with popups. If you visit a site with pop-up ads or windows, leave the site immediately. Pop up ads are now considered a taboo practice because it is very annoying to visitors. A lot of sites with popup ads will infect your computer with spyware, which can track everything you do online including stealing your passwords and personal data.
- Don’t open files with double extensions. For example, if you receive an email with a file extension such as photo.jpg.exe or instructions.txt.vb, do NOT open it. It is very likely a virus or worm.
- Install an anti-spyware program. If your antivirus program doesn’t scan and remove spyware, make sure you install a spyware removal program, such as Ad Adware or Malwarebytes. Many of these offer FREE versions to download. Spyware is dangerous because your sensitive information is compromised and it really slows your computers down because it adds additional processes running in the background.
- Setup a firewall. If your computer is running Windows or if you have a security suite of some kind installed on your computer, you can easily setup a firewall, which helps to protect from hackers invading your system and planting malware or viruses.
- Use caution with visiting unknown sites. If you click on a site and don’t get a good vibe, click off of it immediately. If it doesn’t look trustworthy, trust you gut and leave right away. Many of the dangerous sites are overrun with various pay per click ads from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search portals.
- Use Google to research a site or a file. Sometimes emailed files are legitimate; however, you might not recognize the file extension. If that is the case, search it on Google and learn about the safety or the dangers of the file. If you are unfamiliar with a website, Google it and see what comes up. Reputable websites have a lot of directory listings and reputable websites pointing back to them. If only websites full of ads and banners are pointing back to that site, avoid the site.
Removing a virus from your computer can be very complicated. Most computer viruses now disable your ability to use System Restore. It’s not as simple as just deleting the file. There’s a deep cleaning that has to take place, and sometimes, as a last resort, you have to wipe out your whole computer and start over by re-installing all of the applications. So, if you find yourself in this situation and need computer virus removal or computer repair Fort Walton Beach and surrounding areas, be sure and call Paul at Professional Computer Training & Services. He has a vast knowledge in computer repair and virus removal and can quickly and affordably service your computer to get you back online as soon as possible.