If you are a boat owner, you already know that winterizing your boat will save you thousands of dollars in boat repair costs for the next season, plus it will help your boat perform better. Below is a list of a few steps to take to winterize your boat so it will be ready for the Spring.
- Change the engine oil and filter(s)
- Change the drive train oil
- Change the fuel filter(s)
- Add antifreeze to the inboard cooling system
- Fill the fuel tank completely and add a fuel stabilizer or biocide for diesels
- Disconnect the batteries – periodically reconnect and charge them throughout the winter
- Fog the engine to protect the moving parts
Depending on your inboards/outboards, there may be more or less to do to your boat, so consult your user’s manual and a professional boat service company. This list is by no means meant to be complete. Winterizing your boat is a necessary process and a time-consuming process. If you have the time and the know-how, most of these tasks can be accomplished with the right tools and by getting your supplies from one of the local marine supply shops. If you don’t have the experience or the time, find a good boat repair shop in Fort Walton Beach, Destin, or the surrounding area.