Emerald Coast HUB
- 4th of July Fireworks Celebrations 2019 May 18, 2019
- Things That Go Boo in the Night September 9, 2018
- Fireworks Destin Fort Walton Beach, FL July 4, 2018
- Upcoming Festivals in Destin / Fort Walton Beach Area July 4, 2018
What to pack for your visit to Crab Island
It’s no doubt that Crab Island is one of the hot spots in the Destin, FL area. Crab Island is an underwater island at the entrance of Choctawhatchee Bay near the East Pass in Destin. Crab Island is typically only 2-3 feet deep which allows children and adults a huge swimming pool-like area to play and keep cool from the hot summer sun. The water is usually crystal clear. Crab Island is an extremely popular hangout place for families and partying people. There are plenty of activities going on at Crab Island, such as live music, dancing, water sports such as volleyball, chicken fighting, free giveaways, food and beverage vendors, and even merchandise vendors.
If you have never been to Crab Island Destin, FL, you may be wondering, “How you I get to Crab Island?” Well, you must have a boat, jet ski, or paddleboard to get to Crab Island. You should never try to swim from the shore to get to Crab Island because the current from the tide flow can be very strong. On the Emerald Coast, Boat rentals in Destin and Fort Walton Beach are very easy to find and usually reasonably priced for a rental for the day.
If you have never been to Crab Island before, you definitely need to know what to pack for Crab Island.
- Sunscreen – The sun is stout here, so bring plenty of sunblock.
- Towel – Towels always come in handy after swimming.
- Hat – Help keep some of the sun off your face and reduce your risk of skin cancer.
- Food & Snacks – You will for sure get hungry, so bring plenty of food for your lunch and snacks throughout the day, or you can always buy hamburgers, hot dogs, wraps, etc. from some of the food vendors; however, there is never any guarantee that they will be open.
- Drinks – You need to make sure and bring plenty of water to replace the lost fluids from sweating, but don’t forget your adult beverages such as beer, wine, or wine coolers. If you plan to be drinking outside of your boat, make sure you don’t have glass bottles.
- Water Toys – Crab Island is all about fun, so bring your toys. Footballs, volleyballs, water guns and other water toys are always great fun!
- Rafts – You might want to chill out and relax so bring a raft to float around the water to stay cool.
- Garbage Bag – When packing your boat, don’t forget a garbage bag to dispose of your food bags, beer and soda cans, and other trash that accumulates during your boating experience at Crab Island.
- Snorkel Equipment – It’s common to see plenty of crabs, fish, and hermit crabs partying at Crab Island, so you might want to bring your snorkel and mask to get a better look.
- Money – You never know what you might want to buy while at Crab Island. There are even vendors selling food, ice cream, and drinks. Have your money handy just in case you get a craving for a treat! Or you may want to take your kids to play on some of the inflatables such as the giant water slide or possibly even rent a paddle board for a new experience.
- Camera – Crab Island is a beautiful setting and you will definitely want to take some pictures. If you stay until sunset, you will be in for a real treat. There nothing like experience a Destin sunset.
- Music – If your boat doesn’t have a good speaker system, bring a good music player so you can hear some tunes and relax the day away in the sun and water.
Crab Island is a truly unique experience when visiting the Destin – Fort Walton Beach area. You will not only find a lot of visitors at Crab Island but also a LOT of locals who frequent Crab Island every weekend! Go ahead and do something a little different on your vacation and enjoy the beautiful waters and beaches of the Emerald Coast. If you own a boat and need boat repair without the hassle of taking your boat to a boat mechanic, check out the services of American Mobile Marine. They are a mobile marine service for the Destin – Fort Walton Beach area and will come to your boat to make repairs.